When should I get my property rewired?

Roughly every 25-30 years. This depends on the original installation, intended usage and any ongoing maintenance programme..

How long will it take?

This depends on the size of your property, and what you are having done. An average house or flat can normally be completed within 1 week.

What should I do?

We would recommend you have the property tested (EICR) first, to see if it needs any work or if it complies with current electrical safety standards (BS7671:2011).


What is an EICR?
EICR = Electrical Installation Condition Report (formally known as a PIR or Periodic Inspection Report). All electrical installations deteriorate with age and use. They should therefore be inspected and tested at appropriate intervals to check whether they are in a satisfactory condition for continued service. Such safety checks are commonly referred to as ‘periodic inspection and testing’. An EICR will: Reveal if any of your electrical circuits or equipment is overloaded. Find any potential electric shock risks and fire hazards. Identify any defective electrical work. Highlight any lack of earthing or bonding. Tests are also carried out on wiring and fixed electrical equipment to check that they are safe. A schedule of circuits is also provided, which is invaluable for a property.
How often is an EICR required?
Your electrics should be inspected and tested every: 5-10 years for an owner-occupied property (depending on the condition of the property). 5 years for a rented properties or every change of tenancy.
Who needs an EICR?
Other times when an EICR should be carried out are: When a property is being prepared for letting. Before selling a property or buying a previously-occupied property.
Who should carry out the EICR and what happens?
An Electrical Installation Condition Report should be carried out only by electrically competent persons, such as NICEIC registered electricians. They will check the condition of the electrics against the UK standard for the safety of electrical installations, BS 7671 – Requirements for Electrical Installations (IEE Wiring Regulations). The competent person will then issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report detailing any observed damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and any non-compliances with the present-day safety standard that might give rise to danger.


If your current Fuseboard has any of the the following you should consider updating your Fuseboard:
  • No RCD protection
  • Rewirable Fuses
  • Made of flammable materials (wood)
  • Broken parts/cover
What is the advantage of a new 17th edition Fuseboard?
New 17th Edition Fuseboards are alot safer and easier to use, as they have 2x RCDs installed in them. They also use Mini Circuit Breakers (MCBs) that can easily be reset.
What is an RCD?
RCD stands for Residual Current Device. An RCD is a potentially life-saving safety device that protects against dangerous electric shock and reduces the risk of electrical fires. It’s a sensitive switching device that in the blink of an eye turns the electricity off when it senses danger – reducing the risk of death or serious injury.
Do I need to get a certificate?
YES. Once the new Fuseboard has been installed, all the electrics should be tested and a certificate is issued. This shows the work has been carried out to a satisfactory level, and gives you peace of mind that the job has been done safely and correctly. Also local building control are notified on your behalf.
Do I need to inform local building control myself?
No. We do this for you, as we are NICEIC Approved Contractors and Part ‘P’ registered. This is very important and can stop you selling or renting your property in the future.

Electricians and Electrical Repairs North & East London, Islington, Camden, Hampstead, Essex

Electricians and Electrical Repairs North & East London, Islington, Camden, Hampstead, Essex